Monday, April 6, 2009

32-bit to 64-bit SQL 2008 Upgrades

I am not sure if it is a symptom of my advanced age, but I am forgetting more and more. I know that you can't do an inplace upgrade from a 32-bit version of SQL 2005 to a 64-bit version, but I did indeed forget. I am running into this issue more frequently on SQL 2008 upgrades than I did with previous version, becuase SQL 2008 offers Workgroup Edition 64-bit for the first time. Many of the customers running Workgroup Edition SQL 2005 in a WOW configuration are looking to upgrade.

The only workaround that I knowis to:

  • Script out logins, jobs, and any objects that are stored in MSDB and Master
  • Detach user databases
  • Uninstall 32-bit version of SQL Server
  • Reboot Server, just to be sure
  • Install 64-bit version of SQL Server
  • Create logins, jobs and other server wide objects
  • Re-attach user databases

No comments: