Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Getting Back to Basics

Johnny has been on vacation this week ( I hope he is having a good time, because he will never get to go on another one ever again, he does too much around here) and I have been covering much of his responbilities. Configuring SQL Server instances, fixing failed jobs, answering support questions, etc, etc. I will be honest, I do not much of this work any more. While some of it is tedious, I am getting the chance to remember why I like being a DBA so much. It is the daily problem solving. Some jobs you can work on one problem for years, while that is fine for some, I prefer many small victories. A problem arises and I can fix it move on to another problem.

When I worked at a big corporation, problems rarely happened. Which is a good thing, but it is boring. Now I work for a hosting company and I have the chance to work with a lot on database novices and new DBAs. Everyday I am challenged to fix something that has gone wrong for someone else. Personally, I get a lot of satisfaction of teaching others new things about database and solving their problems.

No comments: